A Father's Instructions for Life
Compliment three people each day
Watch a sunrise at least once a year
Overtip breakfast waitresses
Look people in the eye
Say"thank you" a lot
Say "please" a lot
Live beneath your means
Buy whatever kids are selling on card tables in their front yards
Treat everyone you meet as you want to be treated
Donate two pints of blood every year
Make new friends but cherish the old ones
Don't waist time learning the ""tricks of the trade". Instead, learn the trade
Admit to your mistakes
Be brave. Even if you're not, pretend to be. No one can tell the difference
Choose a charity in your community and support it generously with your time and money
Read the Bill of Rights
Use credit cards only for convenience,never for credit
Give yourself a year and read the Bible cover to cover
Learn to listen. Opportunity sometimes knocks very softly
Never deprive someone of hope; it might be all he or she has
Pray not for things, but for wisdom and courage
Never take action when you're angry
Have good posture. Enter a room with purpose and confidence
Don't discuss business in elevators. You never know who may overhear you
Never pay for work before it's completed
Be willing to lose a battle in order to win the war
Beware of the person who has nothing to lose
When facing a difficult task, act though it is impossible to fail.
If you're going after Moby Dick, take along the tarter sauce.
Don't spread yourself too thin.
Learn to say no politely and quickly
Don't expect life to be fair
Never underestimate the power of forgiveness
Instead of using the word problem, try substiuting the word opportunity
Never walk out on a quarrel with your wife/husband
Regarding furniture and clothes:if you think you'll be using them five years or longer, buy the best you can afford
Be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did
Forget committees. New, noble, world-changing ideas always come from one person working alone
Street musicians are a treasure. Stop for a moment and listen; then leave a small donation
When faced with a serious health problem, get at least three medical opinions
Wage war against littering
After encountering inferior service, food or products, bring it to the attention of the person in charge. Good managers will appreciate knowing
Don't procrastinate. Do what needs doing when it needs to be done
Get your priorities straight. No one ever said on his deathbed, "Gee, if I'd only spend more time at work."
Don't be afraid to say"I'm sorry"
Make a list of 25 things you want to experience before you die. Carry it in your wallet and refer to it often
Things you should know!<
1. Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to prevent ice cream drips.
2. Use a meat baster to "squeeze" your pancake batter onto the hot griddle and you'll get perfectly shaped pancakes every time.
3. To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.
4. To prevent egg shells from cracking, add a pinch of salt to the water before hard-boiling.
5. Run your hands under cold water before pressing Rice Krispies treats in the pan and the marshmallow won't stick to your fingers.
6. To get the most juice out of fresh lemons bring them to room temperature and roll them under your palm against the kitchen counter before squeezing.
7. To easily remove burned on food from your skillet, simply add a drop or two of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan, and bring to a boil on stovetop.
8. Spray your Tupperware with nonstick cooking spray before pouring in tomato-based sauces and there won't be any stains.
9. When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan, use a bit of the dry cake mix instead and there won't be any white mess on the outside of the cake.
10. If you accidentally over-salt a dish while it's still cooking, drop in a peeled potato and it will absorb the excess salt for an instant "fix me up,".
11. Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and it will keep for weeks.
12. Brush some beaten egg white over pie crust before baking to yield a beautiful glossy finish.
13. Place a slice of apple in hardened brown sugar to soften it.
14. When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring out the corn's natural sweetness.
15. To determine whether an egg is fresh, immerse it in a pan of cool, salted water. If it sinks, it is fresh, but if it rises to the surface, throw it away.
16. Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away.
17. Don't throw out all that leftover wine: Freeze into ice cubes for future use in casseroles and sauces.
18. If you have a problem opening jars: Try using latex dishwashing gloves. They give a non-slip grip that makes opening jars easy.
19. Potatoes will take food stains off your fingers. Just slice and rub raw potato on the stains and rinse with water.
20. To get rid of itch from mosquito bites, try applying soap on the area and you will experience instant relief.
21. Ants, ants, ants everywhere ... Well, they are said to never cross a chalk line. So get your chalk out and draw a line on the floor or wherever ants tend to march. See for yourself.
22. Use air-freshener to clean mirrors. It does a good job and better still, leaves a lovely smell to the shine.
23. When you get a splinter, reach for the scotch tape before resorting to tweezers or a needle. Simply put the scotch tape over the splinter, scotch tape removes the splinters painlessly and easily.
24. Now look what you can do with ALKA Seltzer :
Clean a toilet:
Drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets, wait twenty minutes, brush, and flush. The citric acid and effervescent action clean vitreous china.
Clean a vase:
To remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or cruet, fill with water and drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets.
Drop two Alka-Seltzer tablets into a glass of water and immerse the jewelry for two minutes.
Clean a thermos bottle:
Fill the bottle with water, drop in four Alka-Seltzer tablets, and let soak for an hour (or longer, if necessary).
Unclog a drain:
Clear the sink drain by dropping three Alka-Seltzer tablets down the drain followed by a cup of Heinz White Vinegar. Wait a few minutes, then run the hot water. Makes you wonder what is in those things!!!