This is a quick, informal "eye-opener" to help you recognize some of the life conditions that determine your level of stress.
Assign each question a number from 0 to 5:
0 - Never
3 - Sometimes
5 - Habitually
1. I have a lot on my mind that worries me - at work, at home, or both.
2. I have too much responsibility.
3. My family makes too many demands on me.
4. My work situation is unclear; there are too many people to satisfy.
5. I don't have enough time for leisure and to take care of personal needs.
6. There is a great deal of time pressure at work.
7. I have difficulty expressing how I feel about situations or people.
8. I have trouble focusing on a task.
9. I have difficulty communicating with my spouse, children, family, boss, or coworkers, etc.
10. I handle most things alone, with little support from family, coworkers, etc.
11. I do not have enough to say in decisions that effect me.
12. My personal needs are in conflict with my organization or family.
13. Other people or circumstances keep me from doing what I want or have to do.
14. I am often fatigued.
15. People or things often irritate me.
16. There is considerable illness in my life - of my own or in my family.
17. I am short of cash flow and have financial concerns.
18. My life is one crisis after another.
19. I regularly have headaches (Twice a week = 5)
20. I have muscle tension in my shoulders, neck, or back.
21. I have stomach pains, indigestion, or other digestive problems.
22. I take aspirin, indigestion medication, sleeping pills, tranquilizers, etc., regularly.
23. I have a tendency to overeat, especially sweets.
24. I regularly have a drink to "wind down."
25. I drink a great deal of coffee or other caffeine drinks.
26. I am not satisfied with my sex life.
27. Family, friends, people at work tell me I drink too much.
28. Most of my time is spent sitting - I get little exercise.
29. I smoke.
30. I have extremely high standards for myself.
31. I would like to make changes in my life but don't know how.
Add up you total points.
Under 35: Congratulations! You are in good shape.
36 - 65: Average - but you could lower your stress level.
66 - 85: Think seriously about changes in your life.
86 or above: Act now to reduce stress!